Friday 30 April 2021

Samurai whose eyes are aiming at the cherry blossom

 Hello! 🌸


   So, this rare opportunity, which is an image of a man on my blog, has come. For this particular portrayal I chose a samurai. I accepted this challenge with a pleasure (lately One Piece increased my interest in japanese culture much more). I went through a huge brainstorm... Firstly I took pastels and made an undermentioned sketch.


To my own surprise this sketch was looking like a response to Sutekina tsuitachi o. There was a young lady sitting under the cherry blossom with an o-choko (a cylindrical cup which is used for drinking sake) in her hand.


   But it isn't a continuation of Sutekina tsuitachi o, it's completely different work. 

   After the waves of thoughts (wow, it sounded pretty poetically) I came up with a slightly different idea. I decided to show a lone samurai, celebrating a hanami, from the birdseye.


Second sketch. 


During drawing this second sketch I thought about adding a fox in the upper right corner.


I practised a bit with drawing a fox. 


I took a cardboard and started drawing the basics for samurai's portrayal.


By samurai's left side I put a tokkuri (sake bottle).


   After that I prepared oil and soft pastels because I wanted to mix them. Besides I also used a few colour pens (only to distinguish his eyes and component parts of his sword).

And this is the final effect.

silent celebrating, mixed technique (pastels, colour pens) on a cardboard, 17,8 x 20,9 cm.


   It wasn't easy to choose a title for this pastel (only word samurai sounds a little boring). He's drinking sake and a lone petal of cherry flower landed in his o-choko (which is considered as a sign of a good luck).


Do you like my work? 

Are you interested in japanese culture?

Please, share your opinions in comments section.


Below you can see two close-ups.




So my next aim will be...

a dragon

🐲

(this will be quite a challenge for me)


That's all for today.


Have a Nice Day! 🏯

3 comments:

  1. Nie rozumiem, bo masz na imię Alicja, a piszesz czasowniki w męskiej formie...trochę to dziwne w czytaniu.
    Ciekawie ogladać proces powstawania pracy krok po kroku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oj ta klawiatura, miało być - piszesz czasowniki...

      Delete

Thank you very much for your opinion!
I hope your words will have a good impact on futher development of this blog.

Kindest regards,
Luffina