Friday 30 December 2022

Pandora

 HELLO!


From time to time I find films concerning mythology pretty interesting (especially greek and japanese ones). One of them got my attention to Pandora and her mysterious box. So I started thinking about her, and I was wondering how would I portray Pandora?

So, that's how Pandora became my aim.


Here is the 1st draft.

I wanted to capture a curiosity not only on her face but also in her movements. She swings forward the box and reaches to it with her right arm.

Below there's a final drawing made by a brown crayon on a paper.



When it comes to Pandora's box I decided to draw it in a form of pyxis, not a pithos. If you find it interesting, in original Hesiod's text Pandora's box was meant to be a huge jar (pithos), and the one who made it small was Erasmus of Rotterdam (he made a mistake during translation and exchanged pithos for pyxis).

I chose a pyxis because I found it convenient in my vision of Pandora.

There you can see a 1st draft of Pandora's box.

In general I wanted to advert to contents of a box. In order to do that I drew images of 2 women - each of them is symbolising something different. One of them is the face of despair whereas second one is the face of hope. It was necessary to show them differently on the surface of the box.

So, the face of despair was created in the black-figure style, and the face of hope was made in a style of red-figure pottery. The effect is visible below.


So, Pandora and pyxis I've made with crayons. In the end Pandora has got a black hair. Her eyes seems to glow because of the curiosity. Her dress obtained the colour of olives.


Then I used oil pastels for the ominous background and surface on which pyxis is standing.

Below you can see a final effect of my work.

Pandora, crayons and oil pastels on a paper, 41,8 x 29,5 cm.

I hope you won't have any trouble with watching the photos I've made during a creative process.


That's all.

What do you think about Pandora?

Let me know in the comments section.


My next aim will be a picture of a horse.

🐴


Happy New Year

- that's what I wish to all of You!

🍷✨

1 comment:

  1. Lubię oglądać fazy tworzenia dzieła, ostatni obrazek najbardziej mi się podoba!
    jotka

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your opinion!
I hope your words will have a good impact on futher development of this blog.

Kindest regards,
Luffina